Setup: Scheduled Publication
How to configure Salesforce time-based workflow for scheduled, automated Notice publication. See also how to setup scheduled suspension for published Notices.
1. Create a New Workflow Rule
Go into the Setup menu and search for ‘Workflow Rules’. Salesforce System Administration rights are needed to configure Workflows.
Click. ‘New Rule’ Button…
- Select object: Notice;
- Click Next button.
Configure workflow Rule
- Rule Name: Auto-Publish Notice (or another memorable name);
- Description: Provide sufficient detail to advise any system administrator of the purpose of this rule;
- Evaluation Criteria: When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria;
- Rule Criteria: Select the Run this rule if the following… criteria are met option;
- Select Notice: Publication Option: equals Scheduled, so that any (to be) manually published Notices are filtered out;
- Select Notice: Approval Required?: equals False, so that Notices without Approval Required can be auto-published with no further checks;
- Select Notice: Approval Required?: equals true, to set a criteria filter when formal Notice Approval is required;
- Select Notice: Approval Status: equals true as the condition required for auto-publication if Notice Approval is required;
- Add Filter Logic: to group conditions for Scheduled publication (criteria 1) together with (AND) either Approval not required (2) OR Approval Required (3 AND 4).
- Click ‘Save & Next‘ button
Specify Workflow Actions
Click Add Time Trigger button.
Add New Time Trigger
- Set zero Hours after Notice: Auto-Publish Date to set an immediate time trigger
- Click Save button
Add Time-Dependent Workflow Action
In Time-Dependent Workflow Actions section, click Select Existing Action button.
Select Existing Action: Field Update
- Select Field Update: in Search picklist
- Add Field Update: SetPublishedDate
- Click Save.
2. Review complete Auto-Publish Workflow
Review the completed workflow and click Done button to close the wizard.
3. Activate Workflow Rule
Click the Activate button.
4. Optional: Check Workflow & Approvals Settings
If you are using Notice approvals then you need to check and set in salesforce setup the Workflow & Approval Settings as shown below…
Configure Workflow & Approval Settings (if not used before Improved NoticeBoard):
- Default Workflow User: Set to someone with appropriate permissions;
- Enable Email Approval Response: useful to enable approvals from users whilst away from a Salesforce session;
- Click Save.