Setup: Global Help Settings
This is an Improved Help Administrator’s guide for managing Improved Help Global Settings (Salesforce Org-wide options/preferences).
This tab helps the Help Administrator to get Improved Help installed and configured in just a few minutes.
Improved Help Quick-Start Guide
Provides a link from the installed application to the online Quick Start Guide on this site.
Initialise Global Help Settings
Provides a mechanism to initialise Improved Help default parameters, (stored as Salesforce Custom Settings), when the Improved Help application package is installed or upgraded.
Note that the initialisation process should populate the “Salesforce Server Pod” box with the identifier of the farm upon which your Org resides (e.g., NA14, EU1 etc).
When upgrading Improved Help we recommend the creation of a backup of Improved Help Custom Settings, by renaming the current set of Custom Settings in Setup → App Setup → Develop → Custom Settings: Manage Improved Help Org Settings.
Initialise Improved Help Documentation
This utility allows you to create (or recreate) a ‘starter-pack’ of Help content records to adopt & adapt, from a bundle we deliver within the Improved Help package, in the form of:
- Help Topics: Concise chunks of help on specific features – immediately available to all Helped Users from the Help Quick Access Menu Search feature;
- Reading Lists: Sets of Help Topics in reading-order, covering general concepts and ‘How-to’ guides;
- Related Resources: Access images & videos from the Improved Apps team.
Upload Additional Help
This utility allows business users with MS-Office skills to import local custom help content into Improved Help by structuring source material into a very simple XML file format.
All Improved Help content consists of native Salesforce records and so, can be managed like any other data at a System Administrator level. However, not all Help Administrators will have (or need) full Salesforce System Administrator rights.
Contact us if you need an example XML file.
This tab controls which elements in standard Salesforce page layouts can be help-enabled by Help Authors.
Click the screenshot presented here to see the range of ‘helpable’ Elements available on Salesforce pages: it shows a standard Salesforce Contact ‘View’ page layout in ‘Help-Enable’ mode, which is available for Help Authors & Administrators from the Help Quick Access Menu.
The Help Administrator can elect to prevent Help Authors from Help-Enabling:
- Help for this Page / Help and Training Portal links: Allows diversion of the ‘Help for this Page’ and/or ‘Help and Training Portal’ links to Improved Help Topics, rather than the standard Salesforce links. This in turn allows locally defined Help for custom objects (or heavily customised standard objects). Useful Salesforce Help links can then be added ‘behind’ the linked Help Topic, as Related Help Resources, set in context through Help Topic-specific Resource Usage Notes.
- Record Title: Allows help enabling of the ‘Record Title’ area of Salesforce detail pages. This is the small text label above the name of the specific record – usually the name of the object type the record represents.
- Record Detail Section Label: Allows linking of the standard Record Detail section label to an object-wide Help Topic (which will appear automatically on all Page Layouts under the parent standard or custom object).
- Field Help: Allows Field Labels to be helped.
- Related List – Label: Allows authors to provide help for Related List labels.
- Related List – Object: Allows diversion of Related List Object links to an Improved Help Topic, rather than the standard Salesforce link. This in turn allows locally defined Help for custom objects (or heavily customised standard objects). Useful Salesforce Help links can then be added ‘behind’ the linked Help Topic, as Related Help Resources, set in context through Help Topic-specific Resource Usage Notes.
- Related List – Column Label: Allows authors to create help for individual Related List Columns.
- Buttons: Allows activation of standard & Custom buttons as Helped Elements, linked to associated Help Topics.
- Custom Links: Allows standard & custom Buttons to be helped.
- Custom Section Headings: Similar functionality as for Record Detail Section Labels and Related List labels but applicable to your own custom page sections.
Help Topic Options
This tab sets the defaults for new Help Topics.
Callout View Parameters
- Callout Template: Sets the default template for newly created Help Topics: Defaults to Summary-only. See Help Topic documentation for more information;
- Callout Width (%): Sets the default width of Help Callouts as a percentage of their container (which is generally the Salesforce page);
- Callout Closure behaviour: Sets whether Help Callouts close on a second click of the Helped Element and/or mouse-out of the Callout.
Sets the template to be used for the Help Topics created to act as Guide Steps when in Guide Enable mode.
Help Portal View
- Full Template: Sets the default template for displaying the full Help Topic in the Help Portal: Defaults to Image / Video below Text. See Help Topic documentation for more information;
- Reset height before scrolling: Height before scrolling refers to the vertical space allowed for the Help Topic when displayed using its Full Topic Template in the Help Portal. This defaults initially to a height suited to the selected Full Template. If a consistent height is preferred across all content, existing Help Topics can be mass-updated using this utility. Of course, as Help Topics are native Salesforce records, any data management technique (list views, Data Loader, the Excel Connector, Mass Update Anything) can be used for more selective ‘surgery’.
Help Topic Management
- Create as Active: Only Active Help Topics are visible to Helped Users. So, new Help Topics can be created as Active (default) and immediately visible to Helped Users, as well as Help Authors and Help Administrators or Inactive and visible to only Help Authors and Help Administrators.
- Show ‘Read More’ links: Sets whether Callouts include read-more capability to click-through to the Help Portal. (This option allows customers to make some help callouts self-contained, which may be useful in cases such Partner Portal deployments.)
- Default Visibility: sets the default value of the Visibility field; the Visibility field can be used with Salesforce Data Sharing Rules to control Help Topic visibility by profile.
- Days from Topic Modification to Review: Sets the default period for marking Help content for review in reports & dashboards. This setting is designed to support the ongoing Help Improvement process – to ‘weed & feed’ delivered help – by encouraging timely review.
- Hours from Topic modification to retain ‘Amended’ styling: Set to a positive integer in order to automatically add special highlighting to Helped Elements featuring Topics that have been updated within the specified number of hours.
- Printed content ‘Shelf-life’ warning: A warning message added to any Help Topics printed from the Printable view in the Help Portal, to alert users of the dangers of creating hard-copy help which may be rendered obsolete over time. In addition to any warning text entered, the message suggests an obsolete date that is the topic Last Modified date plus Modification to Review days.
Default Help Topic
Sets the Help Topic to be displayed in the Help Portal when the Quick Access Menu’s Help Home link is clicked. To set this, copy & paste the Salesforce record ID (prefixed with ‘HTID=’) from the page address (URL) of your desired ‘Help Home Page’ Help Topic…
This tab controls the availability of certain experimental features that are included with Improved Help but which may be subject to withdrawal or major functional change in future releases.
Content Export Facilities
Use the check boxes to allow or disable export of Help Topics and Reading Lists to various office productivity formats. When enabled:
- Facilities to export to word processing formats are available to all users via additional ‘export’ icons and links throughout Improved Help.
- Export to Excel is made available to Help Administrators only via an extra ‘Experimental’ area on the Documentation tab. This can be used for Org to Org porting of most Help records.
Provides a hyperlink to a list view of your Org’s Helpable Signature records. For more information about using these, please contact us.
This tab adjusts the way Improved Help offers links to related content in various scenarios:
- Related Help Topics: when viewing a Topic in the Help Portal, the “Related Help” listing always provides links to Topics that have been related “from” the current Help by the author. Optionally, tick the box in this section to also show any Topic that refer “to” the current one.
- Help reading Lists: allows you to choose whether or not to show next/previous links as part of the standard navigation features provided for Reading Lists. If this box is not ticked, Reading Lists still offer a set of links allowing the User to jump to any individual Reading List Entry.
- Help Guides: Links to Improved Help Guides only appear on pages where such Guides exist. This option controls how these links are displayed to the User.
This tab provides advice and onward help links to Customers who intend to use Improved Help within Salesforce Console applications.
This tab controls the log duration for Help Interactions of various types, before they are deleted (once ‘Scheduled Maintenance’ has been initiated, by clicking the button).
Set the desired logging period, in days, for each type of Interaction. Setting zero for any Interaction type prevents logging. The types of events that can be logged are:
- Callouts: Help Topic views within Help Callouts in helped Salesforce pages – useful for identifying popular Help Topics (and therefore, application hot-spots);
- Topics: Help Topic views within the Help Portal – identifies popular Help Topics where users need more detail (or can’t access from helped pages – see Searches, below);
- Comments: Comment Interactions left by users on Help Topics or Helped Page Layouts – identifies Help Topics and Pages with potential for further Improved Help;
- Configuration Issues: Problems caused by, for example, broken links between Helped Elements and Help Topics where the later have been edited incorrectly;
- Help Resource Views: Click-throughs to external Help Resources – identifies popular resources, which may need further sign-posting from other Help Topics and/or reworked as native Improved Help content;
- Searches: Search attempts, including search strings – useful for identifying the keywords and potential Help Topics being sought out, for future Improved Help prioritisation.
Once you are happy with the settings, click the ‘Scheduled Maintenance’ button to initiate scheduled record deletion. This creates a scheduled job which can be tracked via Setup | Monitoring | Scheduled Jobs. In addition, Improved Help creates a Help Interaction record each time the retention schedule is run containing details of the numbers of records deleted.In addition, the ‘Allow Layout Comments by default‘ checkbox can be used to control whether users will see the ‘Comment’ option in the Quick Access Menu for newly created Helped Page Layouts. Leave this box unchecked if you do not wish to receive user feedback about Helped Page Layouts.
This tab controls the feedback messages provided to users for confirmations and any error conditions.
For Helped Users:
- Comment Logged Successfully: Feedback to acknowledge the User’s contribution to the ongoing Improved Help process;
- Missing / Inactive / Unavailable Default Help Topic: Flags when there is no Active Help Topic set as the Help Portal’s Home Page – see Help Topic Options tab;
For Help Authors:
- Missing Helped Element: Flags a problem with a Helped Element record, which may have been edited/deleted;
- Missing Help Template: Flags a problem with a Help Topic’s Callout or Full Template, which may indicate an editing issue on a Help Template record (which shouldn’t be necessary).
This tab controls the (up to 5) Help Quick-Links that appear in the header area of the Help Portal. Each Quick-Link has a:
- URL: the web page address of the link;
- Link Text: a user-friendly label;
- Tip: Explanatory text about the link, displayed when a mouse hovers on the link.
This tab controls Help Portal branding features and stylesheet overriding for many visual aspects of the Helped User experience:
- Title: Sets the main Help Portal Title, to make it ‘Your Help Portal’.
- Slogan: Sets the Help Portal Slogan or ‘strap-line’ that appears under the Title, for your ‘…help & training portal…’.
- Logo: Sets the Help Portal’s logo, providing your ‘Example Branding’. This image needs to be available on a publicly accessible URL and ideally in PNG format with a transparent background and 16:9 aspect ratio, to sit well in the 200px x 112px container. Defaults to the Improved Help logo.
- Helped Element Tool Tip: Sets the text shown when a user hovers on Helped Elements.
- Improved Help Customer Stylesheet (CSS) File Location: Sets the location of the stylesheet that controls Helped User aspects of the Improved Help user experience, such as colours & icons. To override the default stylesheet, contact us for a documented copy to place in a Salesforce Document – we can also provide a few dos & don’ts for overrides.
- Custom Styles: Enter a comma separated list of the style names that are to feature in the ‘Custom Style’ drop down on the ‘Status’ tab of the Help Topic editor. This allows individual Help Topics and any associated Helped Elements to be marked with these additional style classes for the purposes of special highlighting or Topic differentiation. Matching CSS style definitions should be entered in the Customer stylesheet (see above).
For demonstration purposes, Improved Help ships with three such definitions: DemoRedAlert, DemoAmberAlert and DemoGreenAlert. Enter these three names (comma separated) and save to see the effect on the Topic editor and, having done this, any marked Topics.
This tab manages your Improved Help Subscription and simplifies named-user licence allocation through a single “Improved Help User Type” field.
Improved Help Subscription Information
Shows the details of your current subscription:
- Subscription Status: Confirms the current status of your Subscription, which should be ‘OK’
- Subscription Number: Our record of your Subscription;
- Organisation: Your Salesforce Org ID;
- Product: Improved Help;
- Version: shows the version of Improved Help you have installed. Improved Apps is committed to updating and improving all products on an ongoing basis. Customers are always entitled to our latest product versions.
- Subscription Type: Trial or Full;
- Expiry Date: The date after which Improved Help will cease to function unless you renew your subscription;
- Seats – Total: The number of named-users supported by your Subscription (a value of ‘Unlimited’ indicates a Custom Edition Subscription with Org-wide licensing);
- Seats – Allocated: The number of named-users with allocated subscriptions (Improved Help User Type ≠ blank);
- Seats – Remaining: The number of named-user subscriptions available to allocate.
Your Subscription is a text file stored in a Salesforce Document and to be of a status ‘OK’ MUST be correctly:
- Named: with your 15-character Salesforce Organisation ID as found in Setup | Administration Setup | Company Profile | Company Information: Salesforce.com Organization ID
- Stored: in the Salesforce Document Folder named Improved Help Documents;
- Supplied & provisioned by Improved Apps: If you have no Subscription file or have any problems, please contact us.
Improved Help Users
To help manage named-user licence allocations, we bundle a targeted User report into the package, along with a link direct to the Manage Users Setup area (requires Profile-level permissions to access Setup and Manage Users).